The DFA authentication attest to the genuineness of the signature appearing on the attached certification for the purpose of identifying a specific document and giving credence to the official acts of the notary public or certifying officer thereon for use, if and when required, as instrument of evidence in foreign countries. As such, the DFA certification/authentication does not, per se, authenticate the validity/efficacy/enforceability of the basic document itself. However, the Authentication Officer is impressed with duties calling for carefulness and faithfulness whereby he must inform himself of the facts to which he intends to certify and avoid participation in illegal enterprises.
You can go to authentication division of DFA at the OFFICE OF THE CONSULAR BUILDING Macapagal Avenue, Paranaque City or at the SM Megamall building C which is very convenient location for me. If you are in the building A of SM you can find the entrance of DFA beside the Bruno barber shop at the 5th floor.
I recommend SM Megamall for authentication. Why? You don’t need to get in a long line. It only takes 10 minutes for me to finish everything in DFA SM Megamall.
So here are the steps for the authentication / red ribbon-ing.
1. Bring all the documents you need to authenticate (Birth Certificate, CENOMAR, NBI Clearance, etc)
2. Bring an ID (drivers license and/or passport) and a photocopy.
3. Get yourself to DFA NCR East in SM Megamall. No reservation required. Also, if you’re unable to go to DFA yourself, have someone do it for you. Just provide a letter of authorization and a copy of your id with signature.
4. Proceed to Door 6 for Authentication
5. Fill out an application form (located in Window 1). Use 1 application form for up to 5 documents. Then proceed to Window 2 with your documents and application form.
6. Go to Door 1 (where the passport processing are) to pay. Regular processing (1oo pesos) takes 4 working days while rush (2oo pesos) takes 1 working day.
7. Return to Door 6 and give the receipt to person in window (they will take the duplicate of the receipt), wait till they give the receipt back to you.
8. Return to the DFA (door 6) on the release date to claim your authenticated document. Again, don’t forget to bring your I.D. Check the spelling in your documents before you leave.
Other documents that can be Red-ribboned:
- Professional License
- Certificate of Good Standing
- Certificate of Registration
- College Diploma and Transcript of Records (TOR)