Menudo is a pork stew combined with vegetable and spices. It is one of the most popular dish in the Philippines. Eventhough it takes time to prepare the ingredients because of all the chopping and slicing, the cooking process is easy since all you have to do is dump everything in.
The version that I’ve cooked was a bit different from the usual Pork Menudo. I didn’t add liver (because I don’t eat it) and red hotdogs (coz I don’t see one in the groceries).
2 lbs. pork
1 cup potatoes, diced
½ cup soy sauce
½ piece lemon
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
½ piece of red pepper (paprika)
1 teaspoon sugar
¾ cup heinz tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 to 3 pieces dried bay leaves
A bit salt to taste
1. Combine pork, soysauce, and lemon in a bowl. Marinate for at least 1 hour.
2. After marinating, heat cooking oil in a pan
3. Saute garlic and onion.
4. Add the marinated pork. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes.
5. Pour in tomato sauce and water and then add the bay leaves. Let it boil and simmer for 30 minutes. Note: Add water as necessary.
6. Put-in potatoes, carrots, sugar,salt, and pepper. Stir and cook for 8 to 12 minutes.
7. Server and enjoy!